The federal government spends 80% of its IT budget on operations and maintenance. Running aging legacy systems brings ever-rising costs and risks of mission failures. Additionally, there is a continued focus on transitioning high-risk legacy IT systems to cloud and shared services. While on the other end of things, modernization projects present their own challenges and risk.
Effective modernization is key in responding to regulations. These responses are exemplified in the 2017 "Modernizing Government Technology Act" and the 2017 "Foundation of Evidence-Based Policymaking Act."
- Lay the foundation for successful modernization
- Increase trust, use, and value of agency data
- Minimize the cost of infrastructure maintenance
- Optimize migrated data streams to improve process efficiency and responsiveness to citizens
- Plan, scope, and manage costs of modernization initiatives to prevent budget overruns